November 18, 2007

Wagyu in the morning

In my continuing quest for the best breakfast menu in Salcedo Village, I ended up in Malcolm's Place(Dela Costa cor. Tordesillas St, Salcedo Village) early morning last Tuesday. I've had dinner there a couple of months back and while I wasn't blown away by the food (a bit pricey when you consider the taste to peso ratio), I was curious about a specialty they had on their menu: Wagyu Beef. According to Wikipedia, Wagyu refers to

"several breeds of cattle
genetically predisposed to intense marbling and to producing a high percentage of oleaginous unsaturated fat. Also known as Kobe-style beef, the meat from Wagyu cattle is known worldwide for its marbling characteristics, increased eating quality through a naturally enhanced flavor, tenderness and juiciness, and thus a high market value"

(Remember the South Park episode where the boys refused to come out of Stan's room until the word "veal" was changed to "tortured baby cows"? After becoming vegetarians they developed Vaginitis - a condition which occurs when one stops eating meat, and which causes its victim to break out in vaginas all over his body HAHAHAHAHA! That's why I'll never be a vegetarian =p )

Since I was feeling adventurous that morning, I decided to try the Wagyu Beef Tapa (an interesting choice considering it's Filipinized Japanese beef). The generous serving of Wagyu came with orange juice and equally large portions of rice and spinach omelette. For P250, the meal was fair but I definitely won't be having Wagyu Beef again. Yeah the meat was tender and tapa-like but nothing spectacular. I guess for the price I was expecting fireworks. Or maybe I should have had Wagyu the way it was meant to be served and not the Filipinized version.


No comments: