October 19, 2007

Mimi's Wisdom

"the explosion occurred at around 1:40 p.m., said eight people had been killed. Makati Councilor JunJun Binay said there were 86 people wounded." - PDI

40 minutes would have made a difference.


If I had not been rushing to a 1pm meeting in 6750, I would have been inside Glorietta when the explosion happened. Not that I wish I were part of the scene but thinking about it now reminded me of how easily our lives can be cut short in the most unexpected occasions. I've had a couple of near-death experiences before and today's event certainly isn't one of the gravest but my morbid mind still can't help but think about the possibilities.

What if I had chosen to eat dessert after lunch? What if I had gotten to Glorietta later and took time in finishing my meal? What if I had chosen to eat in Glorietta 2 where the explosion happened? What if my meeting was at 1:30pm?

The answers don't matter now but the exercise of questioning tells me that sometimes I do forget to live for the moment. That sometimes I get too caught up about watching my favorite programs or choosing the right shirt when I haven't told my friends how much they meant to me. When I'm too busy bickering about things that I want when I already have everything that really matters.

Mimi in RENT said it all:
There is no future

There is no past
I live this moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today

No comments: